The Coast News Group
Old - DO NOT USE - The Coast News

Sheriff’s Department investigating shootings in Encinitas

ENCINITAS — Two unrelated shootings recently took place in Encinitas.The first: A man was shot in the head Aug. 25 at approximately 10:25 p.m. in the 1500 Block of North Vulcan Avenue. After being treated for a gun shot wound, the victim was released from the hospital, according to Encinitas Sheriff Lt. Kenn Nelson.

Nelson said the victim, who has not been identified, was with three or four other people in a parked car near Sanford Street when multiple shots were fired. One of the bullets grazed the victim’s head. The other people in the car were uninjured. Nelson said detectives are investigating the gun make and the shooter’s distance from the car.

Nelson said detectives believe there was one shooter, but haven’t ruled out the possibility of other shooters.

As of Tuesday, no arrests have been made in the case, according to Nelson. He said the incident may be gang related, but declined to give further details.

Those with more information about the case should call (888)-580-8477.

In a separate incident, deputies arrested 44-year-old Steven Clay Robinson Monday at his home on suspicion of two counts of attempted murder.

Robinson allegedly fired shots at his neighbors across the street because of an argument, According to Nelson. Detectives are investigating the nature of the argument and other possible motives, Nelson said.

No one was injured during the incident, according to Nelson.

At approximately 11:12 a.m. Deputies were called to the 700 block of Herder lane on a report of shots fired. Robinson’s home was surrounded and he was taken into custody. Robinson did not resist arrest, Nelson said.

Nelson said police are investigating how many shots were fired and what kind of gun was used in the incident. They recovered several handguns and rifles in Robinson’s home.

As a precaution, Nelson said police asked San Dieguito Academy, Ocean Knoll Elementary and Sunset High School to go into lockdown for about 30 minutes because of the schools’ proximity to the incident. The schools were then notified it was safe to resume operations. None of the schools were in danger during the incident, Nelson said.

Other than bullet holes on the neighbors’ house, no property was damaged, according to Nelson.

Nelson said the incident is still under investigation.