DEL MAR — History lovers have come together to save the Dunham House.
After touring the historical home and learning more about its significance as the last remaining house on 10th Street, built by Del Mar founder Jacob Taylor in 1885, the San Dieguito Heritage Museum board voted to accept the historic house and move it to its 1.5-acre museum.
The museum board and its architect, Bob Webb, toured the potential siting of the Dunham House Sept. 24, at the museum at 450 Quail Gardens Drive. Help is now needed to raise $55,000 as the 10.3-mile move costs more than the donation by the Dunham House’s owner.
The move requires a California Highway Patrol escort, removal of the roof to go through underpasses, more structural support during the move, and further restoration to replace the roof and fix any damage to the 135-year old structure, after the move.
The Dunham House will now be treasured for future generations as part of the San Dieguito History Museum in Encinitas. It will join another part of our history there, a 70-year-old red fire engine from the Del Mar Fire Department, restored by Rande Turner’s father.
The Del Mar Historical Society and Dunham House Campaign Committee want to thank Dunham House owner Chris Huber, the Winston School for their offer to keep the Dunham House in the historic heart of Del Mar, architects Dean Meredith and Jennifer Johnson, contractor Kevin Vint, house mover Garth Fitz-Henley, SOHO’s Amie Hayes and Del Mar Deputy Mayor Terry Gaasterland for their support.
The group now wants to find a home for the other historic Jacob Taylor cottage, the Alvarado-Levi House, which has been “temporarily” parked at the Del Mar Fairgrounds for more than 30 years, awaiting its promised return to Del Mar.