The Coast News Group
A train passes through the Chesterfield Drive crossing in Encinitas. The city is set to receive up to $33.6 million in federal funding for railroad crossing safety improvements along a six-mile stretch of the LOSSAN Rail Corridor. File photo/Michelle Slentz
A train passes through the Chesterfield Drive crossing in Encinitas. The city is set to receive up to $33.6 million in federal funding for railroad crossing safety improvements. File photo/Michelle Slentz
CitiesEncinitasEncinitas FeaturedNews

Encinitas awarded $33.6M federal grant for rail improvements

ENCINITAS — The city of Encinitas is set to receive up to $33.6 million in federal funding for a series of railroad crossing improvements aimed at reducing conflicts between trains, pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.

The Federal Railroad Administration selected the Encinitas Citywide Railroad Crossing Safety Improvement project for funding through its Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail Program. The project covers approximately six miles of the Los Angeles-San Diego-San Luis Obispo, or LOSSAN, Rail Corridor on infrastructure owned by the North County Transit District.

Deputy Mayor Jim O’Hara told The Coast News the projects would have a variety of positive impacts on the city, including improvements to regional transportation, health and safety and commerce in the downtown area.

“I think this is a great win for the people,” O’Hara said.

The federal funding will support several projects along the rail corridor, including two new pedestrian and bicycle at-grade crossings at Grandview Street and Phoebe Street and a new pedestrian and bicycle undercrossing between Verdi and Liszt avenues.

The project also calls for new vehicle and pedestrian gates at three existing crossings — E Street, D Street and Leucadia Boulevard — as well as modifications near the downtown Encinitas train station. The midplatform rail crossing at the downtown station will also be closed as part of the overall project.

According to the Federal Railroad Administration, the improvements stem from recommendations made after a critical diagnostic review conducted in partnership with the federal agency, driven by risk factors and the history of collisions at crossings throughout the city. The agency said the improvements are intended to enhance safety by reducing conflicts between trains and pedestrians.

The city will provide a 20% nonfederal match toward the project, which will benefit Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner route. The federal award covers both project development and construction.

O’Hara said pushing for the projects was a major reason he wanted to serve as the city’s representative on the North County Transit District board.

“This was a priority to me when I ran for office,” he said.

Residents consider crossing the railroad tracks near Verdi Avenue in Encinitas before turning around. Photo by Leo Place
Residents cross the railroad tracks near Verdi Avenue in Encinitas, where the city plans to build a new pedestrian and bicycle undercrossing as part of a series of rail safety improvements. File photo/Leo Place

O’Hara said he was proud of the collaboration among local, regional, state and federal partners that helped bring the projects to this point.

“I lobbied every person I could get the ear of,” he said.

After “a lot of communication across the board,” O’Hara said city “staff worked their tails off” to ensure the ultimately successful grant applications were as strong as possible based on the feedback the city received.

The City Council discussed the projects at its Oct. 22, 2025, meeting.

According to a city document updated July 13, the city has completed 35% of the design work required for the two at-grade crossings at Grandview and Phoebe streets.

The city has also completed the design for the Verdi Avenue undercrossing, which received Planning Commission approval in August 2025 and had been awaiting a funding source.

Improvements at E Street, D Street, Leucadia Boulevard and the downtown train station are part of the city’s Quiet Zone project, which is expected to reach 90% design completion by the end of the summer.

More than $150 million for San Diego County

The Encinitas award is part of more than $150 million in federal funding announced for rail improvements along the Pacific Surfliner route in San Diego County.

Sens. Alex Padilla and Adam Schiff, both D-Calif., announced that the Federal Railroad Administration would provide up to $124.4 million to the San Diego Association of Governments in addition to the $33.6 million for Encinitas.

The awards are part of approximately $5.32 billion allocated nationally through the Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail Program. The Federal Railroad Administration selected 41 projects in 23 states from 103 applications requesting approximately $11.7 billion.

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement that the funding would go toward “fixing thousands of grade crossings – saving lives and improving communities across America” with the ultimate goal of “making passenger rail in America great again.”

SANDAG’s $124.4 million award will go toward the Eastbrook to Shell Double Track project, part of a larger effort to double-track the entire San Diego subdivision of the LOSSAN Corridor.

The project includes construction of a new double-track segment, replacement of a bridge, realignment of pedestrian access to a bike path, extension of a pedestrian underpass and rail crossing safety upgrades in Oceanside, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and other cities along infrastructure owned by the North County Transit District.

According to the Federal Railroad Administration, the improvements are expected to reduce travel delays, improve on-time performance, shorten transfer times and provide more reliable connections. The project also serves as the only freight rail link between Camp Pendleton, the Port of San Diego and the national rail network.

SANDAG will provide a 20% nonfederal match, which may include funding from the California State Transportation Agency and TransNet. Like the Encinitas improvements, the project will benefit Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner route.

“I’m proud to announce more than $150 million in federal funding for Amtrak — an investment in the reliable, affordable rail service Californians count on,” Padilla said. “Reliable rail service means good jobs, less gridlock, and better transportation options for Californians.”

“I am proud to help deliver over $150 million in new safety and modernization upgrades across our Amtrak Pacific Surfliner route to improve pedestrian access,” Schiff said. “From extending pedestrian underpasses to increasing reliability, this essential investment will improve safety, efficiency, and reduce travel times for Californians — making travel seamless and keeping pedestrians safe.”

Leave a Comment