NORTH COUNTY — The Gaden Shartse Cultural Foundation will again welcome Tibetan Buddhist monks from the Gaden Shartse Norling Monastery in Southern India. For more than 20 years, the monks have been visiting the area and this year will host several events from Dec. 1 through Dec. 12, including the construction of two sand mandalas in Solana Beach and Carlsbad.
The public is invited to watch this meditative process and participate in several other healing arts ceremonies taking place in locations including Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Dieguito; PHES Gallery, 2633 State St.,Carlsbad; CommuniTea Yoga and Meditation 609 Vista Way, Oceanside and the California Center of Creative Renewal, 1905 Crest Drive, Encinitas.
All proceeds benefit the Monks of Gaden Shartse and their monastery in southern India, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization. To learn more about the monks’ programs and tour offerings, visit sacredartsoftibettour.org/. Members of the community can also schedule private healings and blessings for their homes and businesses. Call (760) 815-2229 to schedule an appointment.
The 2021 Sacred Arts of Tibet Tour Schedule Solana Beach – Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Dieguito, 1036 Solana Drive, Solana Beach will include:
- Dec 1, 10 to 11 a.m. – Opening ceremony for the construction of White Tara Mandala with questions and answers following the ceremony. Donations welcomed
- Dec. 2, 2 to 4 p.m. – White Tara Empowerment. Suggested donation $20
- Dec 3, 10:30 a.m. – Dharma Talk – Suggested donation $10
- Dec. 4, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. –Tibetan Cultural Family Day, including making small mandalas, children’s Tibetan musical instruments, storytelling, Tibetan calligraphy and more. Suggested donation: $15 per person or $25 per family
- Dec. 5, 10 to 11 a.m. – Sunday Service followed by mandala Dissolution Ceremony at 11:30 a.m. The public is invited to watch the monks scatter the sand in the ocean at South Cardiff State Beach.
For details, visit: https://uufsd.org/events/the-sacred-arts-of-tibet-tour-and-mandala/. Mandala viewing daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. during construction. Masks required.
At the Carlsbad – PHES Gallery, 2644 State St., Carlsbad, events will include:
- Dec. 8, 10 a.m. – Opening Ceremony for Buddha of Compassion mandala
- Dec. 8, 7 p.m. – Dharma Teaching on Impermanence: Suggested donation: $10
- Dec. 8 through Dec.10, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Mandala Viewing. Questions welcomed.
- Dec. 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Dissolution Ceremony. After the ceremony, the monks will hand out small bags of sand, and there will be a procession to the beach to disperse the sand in the ocean.
For event details: https://phesgallery.com/. Small gatherings held onsite. Suggested Donation: $20 at the door. Masks required.
At the Oceanside – CommuniTea Yoga and Meditation, 609 Vista Way, Oceanside, the schedule will include:
- Dec. 10, 7 p.m. – Buddha of Compassion Empowerment, Suggested donation – $55
- Dec. 12, 9 a.m. – Medicine Buddha Empowerment, Suggested Donation – $55.
For event details, visit: https://communiteayyoga.com. For program details, see tour website listed above. Masks required
At the Encinitas California Center of Creative Renewal, 1905 Crest Drive, Encinitas, the monks will play their traditional Tibetan instruments and chant centuries old prayers 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 12. The monks conclude their North County tour in an afternoon of music and healing in the garden. For details visit artretreats.com.