REGION — El Niño is here.
The massive weather system dumped more than an inch of rain on Tuesday in various parts of San Diego County causing flooding and action by numerous emergency response crews.
In Escondido, no major damage was reported by city staff, according to Director of Community Relations Joyce Masterson. She said “a few” displaced rocks landed on Lake Wohlford Road, but the road is clear.
The city’s Public Utilities staff reported a boulder fell into the Escondido Canal cause some damage to the canal wall, which will be attempted to be removed and repaired Thursday, weather permitting, Masterson added.
According to the National Weather Service in San Diego, precipitation totals are expected to reach 2.11 inches in Oceanside and 2.16 in Escondido by Thursday morning.
High surf is also forecasted Thursday between seven to 12 feet with “local sets” between 14 to 16 feet south of Oceanside. High tides are expected to reach 6.7 feet around 6:55 a.m. Thursday with coastal flooding of low-lying areas possible.
In addition, the NWS issued a flash flood watch for the mountains, valleys, coast and the San Gorgonio Pass near Banning. A winter storm warning is in effect for the mountains, a wind advisory of the coastal areas, high surf warning for the beaches and small craft advisory for the coastal waters.
In Carlsbad, a 90 percent chance of rain and small hail with wind gusts up to 25 mph is forecasted for Wednesday, according to the NWS.
On Thursday, a 100 percent chance of showers with a possible thunderstorm brining small hail and gusty winds is forecasted. On Thursday night, a chance of showers and thunderstorms are forecasted before 10 p.m., with rain likely falling after 10 p.m.
On Friday, a 50 percent chance of showers is expected during the day with a slight of showers before 4 a.m., then a chance of rain after 4 a.m.
Rain is likely after 10 a.m. Saturday and before 10 p.m., while Sunday presents a chance of showers before 10 a.m.
In Escondido, Wednesday is expected to bring showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 11 a.m. Some storms could bring heavy rainfall with gusts up to 20 p.m. Wednesday night has a 100 percent chance of rain and possibly a thunderstorm.
Thursday brings a 90 percent chance of showers and possibly a thunderstorm, while a 70 percent chance of precipitation is forecasted for Thursday night.
On Friday, showers are likely before 11 a.m. with a 60 percent chance. Friday night brings a slight chance of rain before 5 a.m. and a 30 percent chance of rain after 5 a.m.
On Saturday rain is likely after 11 a.m. and before 11 p.m. and will be mostly cloudy. Sunday, meanwhile, will bring a chance of showers, mainly before 11 a.m.
Check back later for updates from city officials in Carlsbad and Escondido.
National Weather Service forecast:
- High surf advisory in effect until 10 p.m. Friday
- Flash flood watch in effect through Thursday morning
- Wednesday showers and chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon with small hail. Chance of showers overnight
- Thursday showers and chance of thunderstorms in the morning and afternoon. Chance of thunderstorms and showers likely overnight.
- Friday mostly cloudy in the morning and chance of showers in the afternoon. Friday night with a slight chance of showers.
- Saturday and Sunday presents a chance of rain in the morning, afternoon and night.
San Diego County Valleys including Escondido
- Wednesday has a chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon with possible hail. High winds in western valleys from 47-52 mph near the foothills.
- Wednesday night includes a slight chance of thunderstorms and small hail overnight.
- Thursday brings slight chance of thunderstorms and heavy rainfall possible in the morning. Slight of thunderstorms in the event and showers likely overnight.
- Friday is forecasted to be cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning and afternoon. Friday night will be mostly cloudy with a slight chance of showers.
- Saturday will have a chance of rain in the morning and evening.
- Sunday there is a chance of showers in the morning and slight chance of rain in the evening and overnight.