TEACHER VACCINATION PUSH
Hosted by educators from throughout the County, teacher-leaders, education support professionals, parents, administrators, and elected leaders held a press conference. advocating for vaccination of public school teachers and support personnel in San Diego County. The focus is successful face-to-face instruction on school sites without the yo-yo effect of opening, quarantining, and closing. See the press conference in its entirety at cta.org/videos/san-diego-educator-vaccine-press-conference.
GIRL SKATER SCHOLARSHIPS
Exposure Skate, a Vista skateboard non-profit, is offering Exposure College Scholarships to empower female-identifying skateboarders with the opportunity for higher education through annual scholarships. In partnership with The College Skateboarding Education Foundation, the Exposure Scholarship will provide a $5,000 scholarship to offset the cost of tuition to two deserving individuals beginning Fall 2021. Register at exposureskate.org/exposure-college-scholarship/.
• Carthage College has named Bradley Dodds from Carlsbad to its dean’s list for academic excellence during the fall 2020 semester.
• University of Alabama named Carlsbad residents Victoria Dondanville, NSophia Imparato, Lauren Kostuke, Cade Madeira, Alia Manuel, Faith Oldham, Kennedy Rawding and Ella Stichler along with Grace Hollingsworth of Del Mar, Abigail Roy of Encinitas, Hanna Melville of Oceanside and Lauren Baldwin and Ryan Blakeman of San Diego to its dean’s list. On the University of Alabama president’s list were Kyle Wada of Carlsbad, Sarah Tomlinson of Oceanside, Elijah Armendariz of Rancho Santa Fe and Erik Beer and Michael Beer of San Diego.
• Hiram College announced that Makenna Waite of San Marcos was named to the dean’s list for the fall 2020 semester.
• John Hanna of Carlsbad, a member of the Class of 2021, has been named to the Fall 2020 dean’s list at Stonehill College.
• Marcella Archambeault of San Marcos was named to the College of the Holy Cross Fall 2020 dean’s list. A member of the Class of 2023, Archambeault is majoring in Multi-Disciplinary.
• Kayla Cleland of San Marcos, Reem Elamrani and Chloe Torrence of Rancho Santa Fe, Hailey Hendrix of Oceanside, Maya Tyra Sevilla of San Marcos and Evita Woolsey of Encinitas, were named to the dean’s list for the 2020 fall semester at the University of Iowa.
• Kai Haseyama of Encinitas was named to Westminster College dean’s list for the fall 2020 semester. Haseyama is majoring in Computer Science.
• Reagan Kan and William Nute of San Diego and Lucas Luwa of Rancho Santa Fe earned the distinction of faculty honors for Fall 2020 at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Adrien Cao and Courtney Wolpov of San Marcos and Brian Sears of San Diego were named to the dean’s list.
• Wheaton College students Audrey Irwin of San Diego, Samuel Arnold of San Marcos, Morgan Brown and Katherine Papatheofanis of Rancho Santa Fe and Grace Cleveland of Solana Beach were named to the dean’s list for the Fall 2020 semester.
NEW AT MCDONALD HOUSE
Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego has added Del Mar resident Eric Eastham to its board of trustees to provide his contributions of time, treasure and talent to the House. Eastham is senior vice president and general counsel at sports and entertainment management agency, The Familie, where he leads the football division.
TOP RANK FOR MED CENTER
Palomar Medical Center Escondido has achieved the Healthgrades 2021 America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award. The distinction places the Center in the top 5% of nearly 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems.
CCF REACHES OUT
Coastal Community Foundation posted more than $1 million in grants in 2020, up more than 25% from the previous year. About half of CCF grants in 2020 went toward social services, health and wellness, and services to support the homeless, including food distribution. The Fund for Supportive Housing and Homeless Recovery, established in 2019, made $25,000 grants to Community Resource Center, North County Lifeline and Solutions for Change to provide assistance to some of the most vulnerable populations in our community. For more information or to establish a fund, visit coastalfoundation.org or call (760) 942-9245.
KEEPING PETS WARM
Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Pets Without Walls campaign provided warmth to the pets of San Diego’s homeless at Father Joe’s Neil Good Day Center Feb. 9. For a third year, 100 pets residing in temporary homeless shelters snuggled into new sweaters and blankets to battle the winter temperatures.
KUDOS TO RESPONSE FUND
The North County COVID-19 Response Fund, a collaborative effort of the Coastal Community Foundation, Leichtag Foundation and Rancho Santa Fe Foundation, was launched in March 2020 has granted $764,170 to 35 nonprofits to date. The Fund has expanded awareness about urgent needs, bringing visibility to the unique challenges faced in North County and raising more funds for fitting responses.
GUITARIST PUBLISHES BOOK
Encinitas resident and Taylor Guitars artist Alex Woodard has published a new book, “Living Halfway.” The website address was incorrect in the Jan. 22 issue. The correct website is https://amzn.to/3qgyHT7.