ENCINITAS — The Surfing Madonna Oceans Project is celebrating local artists with the “Encinitas Artists of Excellence” invitational exhibition at the Perspectives Gallery from March 5 to 29.
The showcase pays tribute to artists from Encinitas communities including Cardiff and Leucadia who have made significant contributions as “Arts Alive” 101 Artists’ Colony banner artists.
Featured artists include Bob Hord, Donna Butnik, Karin Kellar, Julie Ann Stricklin, Cheryl Ehlers and Cathy Carey.
The exhibit’s opening reception is on March 9 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Perspectives Space, located at 555 Second St. Suite #1 and will feature musical performance by the Peter Sprague Trio.
Peter Sprague, an award-winning guitarist, composer and music instructor residing in Encinitas, is recognized for his collaborations with jazz legends such as Chick Corea, Pat Metheny and Dianne Reeves.
- Bob Hord: Renowned for his diverse, artistic journey – from cartooning to paper sculpting and creating musical instruments – Hord’s work is infused with humor and creativity. He is currently contributing illustrations for the upcoming Surfing Madonna Ocean Safety coloring book.
- Donna Butnik: A California native with a diverse artistic background, Butnik employs the drip method using enamel house paints, resulting in subconscious imagery that reflects her dreams and the world around her.
- Karin Kellar: A graphic designer and artist, Kellar’s 2022 banner pays homage to her mother with proceeds from its sale donated to the Nature Collective in her mom’s honor.
- Julie Ann Stricklin: A versatile artist working in traditional and digital mediums, Stricklin is known for her meditation rocks featured in shops, galleries and museums worldwide.
- Cheryl Ehlers: Born in northern California and raised in Europe, Ehlers is an award-winning artist working across genres, emphasizing the participation of the audience in her expressive and impactful creations.
- Cathy Carey: As an accomplished oil painter, Carey creates paintings that capture the essential connection of all things through a joyous spirit. A former executive director and president of Surfing Madonna Oceans Project, she currently serves as the director of programming for Front Porch Gallery in Carlsbad.
For more information, visit www.surfingmadonna.org.