The Coast News Group
Julie Thunder: Change needed in Encinitas
Community Commentary Opinion

Commentary: Change needed to protect Encinitas

By Julie Thunder

Today I am announcing my candidacy for the District 3 seat on Encinitas City Council as an independent, non-partisan candidate, or NPP.

Although the Council typically decides issues that apply across the city, I am confident I will be a strong advocate for my district, which encompasses Cardiff-by-the-Sea and parts of New Encinitas. It would be a special honor to represent Cardiff, the historic community my family has called home for 37 years.

Two years ago, entering politics for the first time, I campaigned to become the mayor of Encinitas. I did not win that race, but I did gather more than 17,000 votes (45%) — I am proud to have earned each person’s support.

The message I take away from that result is that many others felt, as I do, that the city is on the wrong track and it’s time for a change in Encinitas leadership.

Instead of running again for mayor, I am seeking election to City Council. That option wasn’t available to me in 2020. Today it seems like the sensible choice.

There are several reasons for that decision. The term of office for a district seat is four years, while the mayor is only two years. The costs of running an election, both financial and practical, are high, with a district race being less costly than the city-wide mayoral race.

Aside from the costs, a campaign imposes a burden on family members. My daughters and husband have made clear their support for my efforts, but a four-year term will be less disruptive to our family.

There is not much to be gained by being elected mayor — the vote of each council member carries equal weight to that of the mayor.

I don’t have political ambitions beyond Encinitas (I wouldn’t be using the mayoralty as a launching pad to higher office) so the increased visibility is not important to me.

The high profile of our current mayor is not due to the power of her vote but is the result of how she has played her hand in Encinitas and in the region.

I’ve long been involved in the affairs of my community. Most recently, I’ve been gathering signatures for a statewide initiative to restore local control to city governments, as I believe Sacramento’s overreach is the biggest threat facing Encinitas. I’ve also advocated for preserving Cardiff and Olivenhain voting districts (yes, others sought to combine them).

I was a visible supporter of the effort to stop the Regional Homeless Parking Lot from being placed near several children’s programs, including Oakcrest Middle School. And, I even got involved in reversing the cancellation of our Holiday Parade.

Our city faces some difficult times ahead. There is great pressure to become a densely packed coastal town, similar to what you see in Orange and LA Counties.

While I recognize the need for change, I also believe we need to do our best to preserve the elements of Encinitas that originally attracted us.

The first change we should undertake is to change our leadership so that the interests of the residents of Encinitas become the foremost policy concern. This is one change that needs to happen now — time is running out.

Why would I take on the task of serving in office, and expose myself to the scrutiny candidates must endure? For me, the answer is simple — I cannot sit and do nothing while our city leaders promote policies that are recklessly accelerating our growth, reducing public safety, and failing to act in the interests of our residents.

It’s time for a shift to an “Encinitas First” mentality.

In this effort, I ask for your support. Please consider voting for change in November and let’s protect the Encinitas we all know and love.

Julie Thunder is a resident of Cardiff-by-the-Sea.

10 comments

calioasis February 14, 2022 at 1:57 pm

That is great news! So happy you succeeded in defeating Kellie “the Grinch” Hinze and her plan to cancel the holiday parade. She voted yes on cancelling it. And yet we have a Super Bowl up the street with 70,000 maskless spectators indoors. Hinze must have been clutching her pearls.

stevem February 10, 2022 at 9:43 pm

Julie has stepped up to be a strong and compassionate civic leader. She clearly has the citizens best interest and will put her constituents first. Thanks Julie for not quitting.

EncinitasGary February 10, 2022 at 8:20 pm

I agree with her that this city is being neglected by our current mayor. She is spending our city taxes, resources and time on her campaign for State Senate while neglecting the needs of this a city. I dint think that is MAGA at all, but an excellent observation.

We have to stop saying things like that… if you have an opposing view, you are Republican or MAGA. That is what children do in a school yard. Let’s start thinking about how we all work together to improve our city. I’m all for that.

3feetoheat February 10, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Best Thing I have seen this year. So glad you are trying to help this community stay the tight knit small town it is and protect our beautiful beach community

JohnEldon February 10, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Thank you very much for supporting the OurNeighborhoodVoices initiative, which is our best available defense against Sacramento’s blatant attacks against local control and its one-size-fits-all giveaways to developers, posing as “solutions” to housing issues. Encinitas should not be allowed to morph into just another overcrowded, overbuilt coastal town. Our vision when we incorporated as a city was protection of our quality of life.

steve333 February 10, 2022 at 6:23 pm

I’m not in your District but I will support you and hopefully the clueless like Leah will be vastly outnumbered this time by informed voters.
It’s time to get rid of everyone currently in Office. They have done their best to ruin everything that’s great about Encinitas.
Blakespear is a DNC Develop Corporate Landlord Puppet DINO. She and her lapdogs need to be shown the door.
Time for new blood and to stop kowtowing to Sacramento

Lou Tappet February 10, 2022 at 6:21 pm

What’s familiar? The same tired partisan red herring resurrected, that’s what.

Fearmongering on party lines is what you do when you’re afraid to discuss and examine the actual issues and this mayor and council’s performance. How about serving Encinitas voters by encouraging open discussion and debate for a change?

Leah Clare February 10, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Julie Trumper’s suggestion that we shift to an “Encinitas First” mentality sounds so familiar.

Hmmm.

“MAGA”, much?

Jennah Bell February 10, 2022 at 6:19 pm

MAGA? We are in 2022. Try again. Have any real comments on the article or just want to spew hate for the sake of it? What is wrong with being committed to the city you seek to represent?

JohnEldon February 10, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Trump is irrelevant. This is about local control over Encinitas’ density destiny.