The Coast News Group
Carlsbad Community Community

Signage, mail-in ballots start going out over Measure A

CARLSBAD — Since last weekend, residents may not have been able to avoid the public display of feelings toward the hotly contested Measure A.

The measure will be decided Feb. 23 (7 a.m. to 8 p.m.) in a special election to determine whether a luxury mall and open space will be developed on more than 200 acres on the south shore of Agua Hedionda Lagoon and Cannon Road.

In addition to signage, Monday is the first day available for mail-in ballots and early voting at the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, 5600 Overland Drive. The polls are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.

The last day to register to vote for the special election is Feb. 8, while Feb. 16 is the last day to submit a written request for a vote by mail ballot.

Campaign signs, meanwhile, are allowed 30 days before an election on public property, city right-of-way along major roads and in the city’s commercial/industrial zones.

However, individuals placing signs must follow city ordinances when doing so. On residential and nonresidential property, signs must have the permission of the owner, but no permit is required.

A permit is mandatory in a city street right-of-way for $60.

All signs must be removed within five days after the election, while they must remain five feet from any property line.

Residential and nonresidential signs cannot be more than 10 square-feet in total signage, while city street right-of-way displays cannot be more than six square-feet. In addition, residential and nonresidential signs cannot be more than 3.5 feet above the average grade in a residential front year and not more than six feet above the average grade elsewhere on the property.
City street right-of-way signs must fit between one foot and six feet above the grade.

Other rules include prevention of signs on utility poles or boxes, traffic control signs or device supports, trees, other signs or bus benches. Signs cannot be placed in the road, on a sidewalk or median. In addition, they cannot block any other permitted sign or obstruct public access such as sidewalks or vehicle visibility.

A noncommercial message of any type may be substituted on an existing permitted sign without a new permit.


Allowable major roads.

Campaign rules

To find polling locations, read the back of the sample ballot, call the Registrar of Voters at (858) 565-5800 or visit