ESCONDIDO — The Escondido History Center and the Future Legend Awards Group (FLAG) committee announced nine recipients from Escondido high schools, as the first FLAG recipients of a $1,000 honorarium, a personalized journal, a framed certificate and a student membership in the Escondido History Center.
Each student selected was given the honorarium in honor of one of the 2019 Future Legend Award recipients. The high school seniors chosen to receive the money on behalf of the first Escondido Future Legend Awards Group (FLAG) and the Forever Legends for 2019, are:
- Cristina Garcia, Escondido High School, in honor of Lorraine Boyce
- Juan Flores, Escondido High School, in honor of Leo Calac
- Sophia Bolivar, Escondido High School, in honor of Harriett Church
- Cael Patterson, Orange Glen High School, in honor of Chick Embrey
- Samantha Boyce, Escondido Charter High School, in honor of Shannon Mac Millan
- Lizzy Habib, Escondido High School, in honor of Ben Hillebrecht
- Daniela Sanchez, Orange Glen High School, in honor of Jack Raymond
- Kayla Carter, Escondido High School, in honor of Marilyn Shriver
- Jacob Sauls, Escondido High School, in honor of Bob Wilson
The awards are provided by the Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians. To earn the honor, high school seniors submitted information detailing their accomplishments as it related to the criteria established for each of the nine 2019 Escondido Forever Legends. The honorarium and awards were presented to the FLAG winners at Grape Day Park Oct. 9.