The Coast News Group
CrimeNewsOld - DO NOT USE - The Coast NewsRancho Santa Fe

Jury deadlocks in trial for a former armored truck guard

ESCONDIDO — A mistrial was declared Nov. 26 for an ex-armed security guard accused of stealing thousands of dollars from her employer.
After two and a half days of deliberation, the panel informed Superior Court Judge Joel Pressman they were hopelessly deadlocked on the two felony charges against 40-year-old Tammy Bolson. The charges stem from the alleged theft of $50,000 on Aug. 8 and the more than $100,000 she allegedly stole over a one-year period while working for Brinks Security.
Jurors told the judge they were hung 7-5 in favor of guilt on embezzlement by employee and 11-1 in favor of guilt on grand theft, which was related to the Aug. 8 theft in which money came up missing during a transaction with another employee.
Following the hearing, Deputy District Attorney Anna Winn scheduled a new trial date. Bolson’s next court appearance is a readiness conference scheduled for Jan. 8.
Winn argued throughout the trial the thefts occurred at a time when Bolson was part of a trio that picked up deposits from ATMs and night deposit boxes throughout San Diego County. Additionally, she said Bolson also worked in a two-person crew on Sundays, when she would pick up deposits directly from store managers.
Authorities testified receipts found at Bolson’s residence revealed she spent more than $25,000 more than what her salary allotted. Further, the investigator said as he began compiling information to see if a pattern existed between employees and the thefts, Bolson’s name showed up repeatedly, 74 times to be exact.
Brinks fired Bolson toward the end of her shift Aug. 8 for violating the company’s cell phone policy. She testified she carried her cell phone because she has two young children and an ex-husband who suffers from a chronic illness. Prior to Bolson’s termination, her vehicle and belongings were searched for the $50,000, but the money was never recovered. Phone records showed Bolson didn’t make or receive any calls on her cell phone during that day’s shift.
Defense attorney Sloan Ostbye told jurors in her closing statement that at least 10 people had access to the $50,000 the day it went missing. She added Bolson had every opportunity to blame other employees who she did pickups with, but never did nor did she ever change her story.
Bolson maintained her innocence and explained the discrepancy between her salary and spending had to due with the more than $30,000 in savings she kept in multiple safes in her home.
Bolson remains in custody in lieu of $100,000 bail.