DEL MAR — In 1970 the active PTA observed Founder’s Day by presenting a special program in the Ruth Niemann auditorium at the former Ninth Street school campus. It highlighted the 1930s through the 1960s as the Golden Era of the school.
Attendees received a seven-page mimeographed program loaded with tidbits.
In 1936 it announced that Mrs. Niemann, who was principal and teacher of six through eighth grades, had been given an increase in salary to $1,680 annually. Her assistant, Mrs. Lois Davis, was to receive $1,425 annually.
In addition, it was noted that during vacation floors were sanded and varnished for $200. The building was painted inside and out.
To cover mounting costs a $0.15 tax was assessed on property within the district.
There had been a villagewide outbreak of illness in 1943 making it necessary to close the school for a week.
Boys were warned about carving their initials on the desktop that had been refinished.
The girls were told to sit properly at their desks so as not to show their undies.
That was truly the golden era of education in the village.
Filed Under: EyeWitness