Boxing trainer pleads not guilty in shooting death

VISTA — A boxing club trainer accused of shooting to death another trainer and injuring two others at a Vista gym entered a not guilty plea at his superior court arraignment on Sept. 9.
Mark Anthony Diaz, 50, allegedly killed Hector Gil, 52, at Pacific Coast Boxing the night of April 7, according to reports.
Trainer Peter Moreno and boxer Ricardo Gutierrez were both wounded during the shooting.
Diaz is set to stand trial Jan. 11, and is charged with murder, attempted murder, making a threat and assault with a firearm.
If convicted, he faces 75 years to life in prison.
During a testimony at a preliminary hearing last month, trainer Albert Gamez said that in March Gil had told Gamez that Diaz was mad at him because the 21-year-old boxer Gutierrez had switched trainers from Diaz to Gil shortly after turning professional.
Prosecutors said that a temporary restraining order had been obtained in February to keep Diaz away from Pacific Coast Boxing.
Deputy District Attorney Patrick Espinoza said in a release that a sweatshirt matching the description of the suspect’s was recovered at Diaz’s home during a search.
There was also a finding of gunshot residue on the truck Diaz drove, he said.

Share

Filed Under: CrimeThe Coast News

Tags:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.