Skateboard museum proposed for Carlsbad

CARLSBAD — The Carlsbad Village Association, or CVA, has big plans to recognize the city’s wealth of skateboarding history.
In just six short weeks, the CVA has drafted a proposal for the first ever nonprofit Skateboarding Museum and Active Arts Center. Using pre-existing structures slated for redevelopment, they hope to create a skateboarding oasis for Carlsbad’s youth, adults and tourists to enjoy.
“I think this concept is huge,” said project advocate Justin Jachura, co-founder of Carlsbad’s Senor Grubby’s.
While Carlsbad is internationally known for coining the phrase “skate park” in the 1970s, this new development could bring even more attention to the history of skateboarding in North County. Four buildings at the Oak Street maintenance yard serve as the ideal location for this facility, which would feature an art gallery, media center and small-scale street skate park.
“It’s a really good usage of this property,” said Robin Young, executive director of the CVA. “There’s not a whole lot of work involved to get (the buildings) looking really cool and urban.”
Two of the main buildings would become a museum and gallery with curated shows and traveling exhibitions. These displays would mainly focus on the history and culture of skateboarding, Young said.
A central building would include an Education Center, which could host classes and demonstrations on all things skateboarding. This area would also be utilized to host drug and alcohol prevention courses, encouraging a healthy lifestyle for the city’s youth, Young said.
“(Kids) want to feel like they’re engaged in their community,” Young said. “We can give them opportunities to do things in a positive way.”
What sets this project apart from other skateboarding facilities is the proposed Active Arts Center. A final building would feature video cameras, computers and software programs for those interested in filming and photographing skateboarders to hone their skills, Young said.
“This is a specific youth art demographic that’s being neglected by the city,” said Jachura, highlighting the importance of such a facility.
The concept has also been recognized as a way to boost tourism and sales revenue in the Village area. Ideally, while kids head off to the park, parents will peruse the local shops and restaurants, Young said.
Although the proposal is still in the beginning stages, Young has already received positive feedback from the skateboarding, business and art communities. The CVA is working with established organizations, including the Tony Hawk Foundation, and using residents’ feedback to finalize a design most appropriate for the city’s needs.
The CVA is currently racing against the clock to put the finishing touches on the project, as they are expected to present a comprehensive look at the museum and arts facility to Carlsbad’s City Council by mid-March.
“The only problem that I can see is that it’s not going to be big enough,” Jachura said.
To learn more about the proposed project and to find out how to get involved, contact Young at (760) 434-2553 or visit www.cvskatemuseum.blogspot.com.

Filed Under: Lead StoryNewsRancho Santa Fe Lead StoryRancho Santa Fe NewsThe Coast News

1. Ahnonymus says:

We could also open a body piercing and tattoo parlor in the new skateboard museum.

2. Ahnonymus says:

On further thought, the Carlsbad PD might need to open a satellite location there in order to balance the gang activity from all the unemployed youths.

3. Jon Wantz says:

It’s unfortunate that we have people like the person who commented below who believe anything to do with skateboarding or its’ “sub-culture” will increase gang activity and the like.

This project is about providing our youth with a constructive outlet to express themselves. It’s about bringing the inner artist out of them and giving them the tools and structure to do it.

I have been involved with this project and the plans are amazing. Offering kids the opportunity to film their friends skateboarding, using computers to graphically edit pictures and videos, and providing safety lessons along with drug and violence prevention. And to top it off—at no cost to taxpayers.

The people of Carlsbad and it’s hometown skate heroes need to get behind this project and help make this project a destination spot for people of all ages and from all across the world!

Jon Wantz

4. Ahnonymus says:

I think I have a better and more profitable idea. Let’s sell the project and the plans to the City of Oceanside.

5. Robin Young says:

Ahnonymous – I think you are missing the point. Skateparks don’t bring violence and lawlessness; they decrease it. Do a little research and you find that building these types of facilities curb vandalism, illegal skating. etc. Cops LOVE Skateparks: http://www.tonyhawkfoundation.org/news/2010/02/09/cops-love-skateparks/

We’re trying to bring something positive to the youth of Carlsbad, engage them in the political process and all the while create a venue which will enhance our local economy.

Oceanside is actually doing a good job building skateparks throughout their city and already house a great Surf Museum (all things to be very proud of). What we are trying to do is to expand on that, create a synergy and honor the athletes that live and contribute greatly to the Tri-City area.

If you think all of that will bring vice to Carlsbad, I think you might want to widen your scope of vision.

6. Justin Jachura says:

Unfortunately not everyone understands the “Beach Life” and didn’t have the pleasure of growing up near one. I myself grew up in Carlsbad riding my skateboard to our beautiful beaches and all over the town. I myself still skateboard, and love and cherish the sport of it. Actually I would say most my friends skateboard and most Carlsbadians raised in Carlsbad skateboard and now their children do also. Skateboarding doesn’t favor race, gender, income bracket, country, or age. So to associate as such is just plain ignorant. I wish there was another way to put it. I can’t say enough how much I believe in this project.

Being a business owner in the Carlsbad “Village” I couldn’t ask for a better project. Children and youth means parents to me, which in return means customers. Also skateboarding is a muli-billion dollar industry WORLD WIDE and is about to be an Olympic sport in 2012.

This is a wonderful idea for the youth of all ages in Carlsbad.

-Justin Jachura
    Carlsbad Resident

Get behind this project!

7. Lydia Breen says:

For those with any doubts about the benefits of skatepark, see my blog, Cafe Libre, on the wonderful YMCA skatepark in Encinitas…

Two articles:
    “Shaun White Finds Inspiration at YMCA Skatepark”http://lydiabreen.com/

“Homeboy Shun White Winds Gold”http://lydiabreen.com/2009/07/01/kids-pros-skate-side-by-side-at-iconic-skatepark/

8. Censored Reader says:

Dear Coast News-

Thank you for removing my previous response to this article. As long time supporter of your paper, I am disgusted that my response, while lengthy and verbose was removed from your web page.

I made solid and well reasoned arguments that did not make blanket assumptions about the characters of skateboarders but truly quantifiable analysis of the property damage skateboards CAN and HAVE inflicted on the village.

The removal of my post belies an agenda, that wants to wash over an open and honest discussion by those who would put the tourist interests of a skate park and museum before property value, and the damage that has already been inflicted on your beautiful downtown area.

As I stated previously- until the skating community, shows a more vested interest in supporting the downtown area and making up for the damage inflicted on stairs, walkways and railings across the region, I cannot see a justifiable reason to spend tax dollars or any tourism dollars on a skate-park, which has not been shown to reduce property damage inflicted by “grinding” on stairs, benches, rails, etc.

9. Laurie Sutton says:

Dear Censored Reader:
    Your comment was in response to Eric Murtaugh’s “Outside Perspective” on the same topic and is indeed still there in the columns section.

Laurie Sutton, Managing Editor