By Tony Cagala
Jul 17, 2012 •
58 views • 0 comments
Christina McHale (foreground) and Sloane Stephens exchange shots on the deck of the USS Midway. Photo by Tony Cagala
SAN DIEGO — Rising American tennis talents Christina McHale and Sloane Stephens called the ball for an exhibition match on the deck of the USS Midway Monday to help kick off the Mercury Insurance Open, which began on July 16 at the La Costa Resort & Spa in Carlsbad.
The two players hit soft volleys on a smaller than regulation-size, modular tile tennis court.
McHale begins her tournament play against Australian Jarmila Gajdosova, Tuesday morning. Stephens competes against Romanian Sorana Cirstea Tuesday evening. Stephens, from Florida, made it to the quarterfinals last year at the Mercury Insurance Open.
- American tennis player Christina McHale serves a shot on deck of the USS Midway Monday in an exhibition match against fellow American Sloane Stephens. Photo by Tony Cagala
- Sloane Stephens returns a volley during an exhibition match on the USS Midway. Photo by Tony Cagala
- Christina McHale (foreground) and Sloane Stephens exchange shots on the deck of the USS Midway. Photo by Tony Cagala
- U.S. Navy Sailors play doubles with tennis players Christina McHale and Sloane Stephens. Photo by Tony Cagala
- Sloane Stephens (left) and Christina McHale (right) answer questions from the media Monday. Photo by Tony Cagala
- Scandalis advances in Open qualifying match
- Tournament wants local talent to perform National Anthem
- Belarusian star joins upcoming La Costa tournament
- Russian tennis star to play at La Costa
- Women’s tennis wants volunteers for July La Costa tournament
Filed Under: Featured • Rancho Santa Fe Featured • Sports