CAMP PENDLETON — The Camp Pendleton Historical Society invites members, guests and the public to An Afternoon at the Ranch House from 2 to 5 p.m. June 25 at the Ranch House on Camp Pendleton.
Cost is $50 per person. Net proceeds will support Camp Pendleton historical programs, including preserving and restoring the Ranch House and the Las Flores Adobe — both are part of the Rancho Santa Margarita y Las Flores, once the largest cattle ranch in Southern California.
Attendees can take docent-led tours of the Ranch House and view displays of vintage military vehicles and artillery from the Mechanized Command Museum.
A jazz quartet will provide live music as visitors enjoy hors d’oeuvres in the courtyard of the Ranch House.
For reservations, contact Donald A. Gressly at [email protected] or by calling(760) 727-7126.
Las Flores Estancia was established in 1823 as an estancia (station). It was part of the Spanish missions, asistencias and estancias system in Las Californias — Alta California. Las Flores Estancia was situated approximately halfway between Mission San Luis Rey de Francia and Mission San Juan Capistrano.
Known at one time as the “San Pedro Rancho,” the property featured a tile-roofed chapel (visita) and a hostel, both built by relocated Luiseño and Juaneño Native Americans, the latter for the use of traveling clergy.
The buildings formed three sides of a square, 142-feet-by-153-feet, all roofed with tile.
A portion of the south wing had a second story, and the campanile (bell tower) was utilized as a navigational aid by early sailing ships.
Filed Under: News